Lakes & Dales - October 2016

Open forum for ride reports, videos and photos of rideouts, etc.

Moderator: Digga

Postby bmk » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:14 pm

With work and life getting in the way of riding, time was running out to slip in a few days of good riding before autumn gave up and winter arrived. But, after a few tries at sorting dates we grabbed at probably the last good weekend of autumn and made a dash north in search of some good roads. But, before we got to those we had to go via Rotherham, which would have been okay, but it was a wet and chilly ride through the Peaks. :roll: The excuse for Rotherham was Down & Out's Revival Show, which was a bit disappointing, but by way of consolation we didn't waste much time there. :lol: The bikes weren't that great, but this reading lamp was not a bad effort -

From there it was out into the Yorkshire Dales and our bed for the night at Oakwood Hall just outside Bingley.

Next day we were straight out of the hotel and into the Yorkshire Dales, then up into the North Pennines before heading over to Keswick in the Lakes for the night. We spent a bit too much time enjoying the riding, hence no photo's so you'll have to take my word for it, but the roads were great. :handgestures-thumbup: The stop for the night was a large pub just outside Keswick, with some great views and a healthy log fire roaring in the bar -

Next morning was lovely, with the autumn colours really at their best which combined with the early sun over Ullswater made for some stunning views.

From Ullswater it was onto Windermere via the Kirkstone Pass and a quick diversion down and back The Struggle to and from Ambleside as it would have been rude not to. ;)

After a coffe stop in Windermere it was southwards to the Forest of Bowland, which was a bit of a mystery as we didn't see much in the way of trees, but some deserted and lovely roads none the less.

From there, it was a brief excursion onto the M6 to clear the northern sprawl, before dropping off and heading back through Staffordshire and home.

So all in all it was three days, 550 miles door to door, one iffy bike show, two national parks, two areas of outstanding natural beauty, a close shave with a camera van outside Hawes :roll:, some great views and some brilliant roads that desereve a repeat visit that are practically on the door step. :ugeek:

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Nice one Martin :handgestures-thumbup: .
Lou and I went up during the week before via Snake Pass, Woodhead Pass, Oil Can Cafe and overnight at Holmfirth before stopping with Relis in Kendal.
I'll have a look for pics tomorrow
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Digga » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Must have missed this RR somehow!!

One thing missing ( well 2 really)

Me and the wallpaper ...... maybe later this year with a bit of luck :D
"The day you become old is the day you're not looking for new experiences anymore."

"Quisque comoedus est."

perspicuus lux lucis , caligo umbra.
Digga Offline

*Mr. Chairman* Moderator
*Mr. Chairman*  Moderator

Return to Ride Reports