Café Racer Festival - Linas Montlhéry Autodrome

Open forum for ride reports, videos and photos of rideouts, etc.

Moderator: Digga

Postby Noel » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 pm

What a weekend awesome!
Noel Offline

*Mr. Secretary*
*Mr. Secretary*

Postby Digga » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 pm

What a great weekend :D :D some good laughs and happenings along the way - superb. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Martin for organising and sorting stuff out .. Thanks to the other attendee's for making it a cracking ride out :handgestures-thumbup:
"The day you become old is the day you're not looking for new experiences anymore."

"Quisque comoedus est."

perspicuus lux lucis , caligo umbra.
Digga Offline

*Mr. Chairman* Moderator
*Mr. Chairman*  Moderator

Postby b8ppj » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:35 pm

:text-+1: :auto-dirtbike:

Great time with plenty of giggles 8-)
b8ppj Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Jon King » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks to Martin for organising.

Thanks to everyone else for just being there and making the weekend what is was.

Loved every minute.... Apart from my bedrooms ;-)
http://www.FunBikes.co.uk

:) :) :) (REPRODUCED UNDER LICENCE FROM B8PPJ)

Jon King Offline

Paid Member 2016
Paid Member 2016

Postby skunkyd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Are you doing a ride report Jon?
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Digga » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Noel wrote:What a weekend awesome!

and here's one of the reasons why .... ( for your info' Noel :lol: )
Its all here
"The day you become old is the day you're not looking for new experiences anymore."

"Quisque comoedus est."

Digga Offline

*Mr. Chairman* Moderator

Postby Noel » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:53 am

Digga wrote:

Its all here

Nothing wrong with a bit of gentleman's relish. ;)
I'll let you have a look when it arrives.
Noel Offline

*Mr. Secretary*
*Mr. Secretary*

Postby bmk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:09 am

Thanks to everyone, that was a great weekend :D , loads of photo's to post when I get half an hour. As has already been said, great laughs, great riding, great event, great people. :greetings-clappingyellow: :lol: :greetings-clappingyellow: :lol: :greetings-clappingyellow:

Cafe Racer said they had an attendance of 5,000, which seems about right to me, and think it was a success, so could well be on again next year.

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby Side stand » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:49 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: :text-+1: Enjoyed every minute. Thank you Martin for all you did, everything went like clockwork, spot on weekend. :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clappingyellow:

Just had a flashback to filtering through Paris rush hr traffic at 50+ and holding the local bikers up :scared-yipes: Reminded me of the battle scene in Star Wars, when they're are attacking the Death Star, flying through channels and service shafts at high speed. After Friday's training session i recon I'll be ace at video games :D :D ........ If I had a play station thingy console with matching handlebars :roll: :roll:
Side stand Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Digga » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Noel wrote:
Digga wrote:

Its all here

Nothing wrong with a bit of gentleman's relish. ;)
I'll let you have a look when it arrives.

just ordered my own copy .. :augie

Thanks for the info Noel .... order amended , and the search go's on :augie

"Quisque comoedus est."

Digga Offline

*Mr. Chairman* Moderator

Postby bmk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:18 am

Ok, I'll try and make a start with some photo's and brief descriptions.

Thursday

Met up with Phil, Darryl and Jon at Rempstone crossroads and headed cross country to pick up the A14. This route to the tunnel is a little longer but isn't as tedious as the M1 / M25 / M20, which is mind numbingly boring. We then dropped onto the M11 where we met up with Noel and Paul and continued on to the Tunnel where we met up with Old Man Chris and Matt, who arrived about 5 minutes before us.

Re-fuelled on the way out of the tunnel and a short 17 miles cross country saw us at the Hotel Bal for our first night. The Bal is a great little hotel, tucked away in the countryside, family owned and run, and a perfect start and end point for trips across the Channel. Resaonoably priced with nice food and really friendly, well recommended. :D

Friday

After a good night's sleep (for some anyway :D ), and a leisurely breakfast we set of to Paris, requesting Mr Garmin to avoid all toll roads and motorways. The weather wasn't too bad but with a few showers forecast we were going to get wet at some points, though it didn't dampen the enthusiasm.

Coffee stop by the Abbey at Saint-Riquier.

No photo's of the madness, but despite polite requests, Mr Garmin totally fucked up and deposited us in Paris on a Friday afternoon approaching rush hour. :twisted: With hindsight and the sheer volume of traffic it was almost inevitable that the 8 of us would get split up and sure enough with Noel's sat nav giving differing directions to mine and Phil's, which were trying to take us the wrong way down a one way street, we split. :roll:

Darryl and I pulled over, and tried to call Noel or Phil, with no joy. Ten minutes later we saw them flash by going the opposite direction, and five minutes later, Paul and Matt appeared. We gave Noel and Phil another try on the phone, but gave it another five miuntes and decided to press on.

Two minutes later we entered the slip road to the chaos of the Peripherique, five lanes of French madness. Any attempt of trying to go with the flow soon evaporated as we realised we could be there for ever. So when in Rome etc ...... on when main beam, and hazards and we started 20 miles of mobile dodgems with the parisian rush hour traffic, with bikes, cars and scooters all competing for the same piec of tarmac. How Matt didn't take out at least half a dozen wing mirrors on his BMW R1200GS Adventure with panniers I don't know, but Paul and Darryl both said it was an extremely tight fot at times. I suppose commuting in London definitely helps.

A call from Noel once we'd finally cleared the Peripherique established they'd just had the same experience and were just five minutes away at the Hotel, which whilst within easy walking distance of the circuit, closed it restaurant on Friday nights and at weekends! :roll: :wtf

A quick shower and we headed out to find food, but bumped into Steve and Rachael who were just arriving on a Ducati Sport Classic and Rach's Harley Sportster Cafe Racer. 8-) 8-)

A few more bikes had arrived, though mainly in vans or on trailers, with about half a dozen or so from Germany.

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 pm

Saturday

We had a leisurely breakfast and then took a stroll up to the circuit, which was only about half a mile or so from the hotel, though it was uphill as a couple pointed out. :D ;)

The Linas Montlhery Circuit hasn't been used for racing since the 70's and on entering you could see why. The banked sections are in concrete, which was long past it's best in places and even on old bikes you could see the suspension taking a hammering across the expansion joints and patched surface.

But, even on walking into the circuit, you could just feel the vibe of the place and within a few minutes everyone knew we'd picked a cracking event to come to. There was definitely a bit of something for everyone, and it never felt overly commercial even when cruising through the trade stand areas.

The bikes were something else, it was definitely a case of something for everyone, from daily riders to over polished show queens and everything in between. On the circuit there was everything from old classics to full on racers from 250's to 1200's.

So, here's a bit of a walk through -

bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:31 pm

............ and there's more. :D

bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:57 pm

........and more. :D :D

bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:04 pm

....and even more. :D :D :D

bmk Offline

Next

Return to Ride Reports