Café Racer Festival - Linas Montlhéry Autodrome

Open forum for ride reports, videos and photos of rideouts, etc.

Moderator: Digga

Postby bmk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 pm

.... oh, go on then, if you insist on a few more. :D :D :D

It's difficult to capture just how steep the banking is in a photo, but the Suzuki 1200 two photo's below is the bike at the top of the banking below. This guy was freakin' awesome, no fairing, open face helmet, no silencer, and pulling 150mph in the top lane of the banking lap after lap. :shock: 8-) :shock: 8-) :shock: He was getting bollockings from the marshalls as they reckoned they didn't have public liability insurance above lane 3 and he was in lane 5. He was just laughing it off though and going for it again in the next session. Amazing to watch. :greetings-clappingyellow:

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:08 am

Late Saturday afternoon found JK, Phil and myself on the Triumph stand and blagging ourselves a test ride on some Bonnevilles for Sunday. :D 8-) Chris and Matt had gone back to the hotel, but when we bumped into Paul, Noel and Darryl, they hot footed it to the Triumph stand as well. :D

Sunday

Packed up the bikes after breakfast and headed up to the circuit early as the first test rides were at 10.00. Someone (no names ;) ) found a romantic streak and left a rose on Rachel's seat, apparently she was really touched by the gesture. :romance-heartsthree:

Arriving on the Triumph stand, we found that some of our rides had been bumped back to 12.00 which was a bit late as we wanted to be off around then. So, with a bit of juggling we managed to blag four Bonnevilles, a Tiger 800 and a new Trophy for us all at 10.00am.

Digga had to get on his toes as he'd left his driving licence in his tank bag and he was only just back in time as we were pretty much ready for the off. To everyones surprise we didn't head out onto the local roads and countryside, but instead the lead rider led us onto the old circuit, not the banked part but a section further round, and nipped up the pace whilst we knocked of 6 or 8 laps. Great giggle. :lol: :lol:

Arriving back at the Triumph stand, Digga was missing, seems he'd missed the tail end of us going right under the bridge to the old circuit, and instead he headed out of the gate for a tootle round the countryside on a brand new, un-registered, un-taxed and probably uninsured Bonnie. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whilst soem when off to buy T shirts and snacks, Phil and I drifted onto the BMW stand and with a bit of inspiration blagged another demo there as well. :lol: :lol: Phil nabbed a F800R and I blagged a R1200R. We were soon joined by Matt on a F800R and JK on the new R1200GS. Paul hot foooted it back from the toilet and tried to blag a F800R as well. The man from BMW said "sorry, they're all gone, do you mind taking the S100RR instead?" - well it was better than nothing. :lol: :lol: That said, when he rode it out of the stand and inot the queue of bikes it did look a bit like he'd got a moped wedged up his arse. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another 6 or 8 laps of the old circuit had us all smiling, with JK giving the ABS on the new GS a full work out on the return to the pits. :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

All in all a great end to our trip to the Festival. Making sure we directed Mr Garmin well away from the Peripherique we set of back north to the Hotel Bal, heading across country on some great roads, leaving Paul in need of a new pair of boots I think. ;)

Next morning was just an easy 20 mile run to the Tunnel, and back to the M20, Dartford Tunnel and the grind north. :(

This was just one of those trips where everything just gelled and clicked. Whether it was the people, the roads, the general banter and craic, the festival, the roads, the bikes or whatever, it just all added up to soemthing much greater than the sum of it's parts, and for me was one of the best trips I've been on with LARF. :D

Thanks gents, it was great. :handgestures-thumbup:

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby Digga » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:10 am

Not me of course ... :doh

(BMK - can you move to the end of your ride report , so as not to interrupt the flow :handgestures-thumbup: ) Done. :handgestures-thumbup:
"The day you become old is the day you're not looking for new experiences anymore."

"Quisque comoedus est."

perspicuus lux lucis , caligo umbra.
Digga Offline

*Mr. Chairman* Moderator
*Mr. Chairman*  Moderator

Postby bmk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:20 am

More photos -

e-moto

Cafe Racer

bmk Offline

Postby Tonibe63 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for the write up Martin :handgestures-thumbup: .
Looks like I missed a good one-gutted.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby PaulG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:18 pm

That looked a fun trip :D the bit about Digga made me smile, great ride report :handgestures-thumbup: :text-coolphotos:
Of all the things i have lost i miss my mind the most.
PaulG Offline

*Mr. Treasurer*
*Mr. Treasurer*

Postby Digga » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:25 pm

The object of our romantic friend and the rose on a seat

Racey Rach' :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow:
"The day you become old is the day you're not looking for new experiences anymore."

"Quisque comoedus est."

perspicuus lux lucis , caligo umbra.
Digga Offline

*Mr. Chairman* Moderator
*Mr. Chairman*  Moderator

Postby Noel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Again it was a great weekend I was ready to get away and the weekend delivered everything for me, had some proper laughs, rode some lovely roads, saw some great things, had some nice food, didn't spend too much and improved on my small amount of French.
My only problem is I can't stop reminiscing about this week to make me smile, it was awesome to think this time last week we where in France and just chilling, have been dreaming all week about how I should be on my bike and not stuck doing the daily grind.

Thanks for the photo uploads Martin, mine are very similar.
A few below that others might like out the 150+ I took.
Separated at birth?!!
JK even pulled in some magazine model shots
Chris's retirement project, this bike comes in a kit to modify your Suzuki LS650.
Sidestand made friends with a guard dog, I kid you not!
On the road
807 Miles
45.8 Average MPH
17hrs 56 minutes on the bike.
Noel Offline

*Mr. Secretary*
*Mr. Secretary*

Postby b8ppj » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Chris and diggles :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will post my photos soon and i also have the contact details for the suzuki rider who works for bmw who made the banked circuit look easy if anyone has got photos/video as i guess he would like them sent over 8-)

Bike is washed and ready to go.......I can feel a scotland trip coming up soon.....with "its my last trip" chris tagging along ;)

Great time , great company , great giggles 8-)
b8ppj Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 pm

b8ppj wrote:i also have the contact details for the suzuki rider who works for bmw who made the banked circuit look easy if anyone has got photos/video as i guess he would like them sent over 8-)

Matt has a couple of vid's / pic's of him. Also has one of Chris playing his harmonica in the cafe on the way back. :lol: :lol:

bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:48 am

Impressive - my latest copy of Cafe Racer magazine arrived on my door mat from France this morning. Inside is a 32 page supplement of photo's and articles from the Festival. Fast work by someone! :D

bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

A few from Old Man Chris. :lol:

First up, the one we've all been waiting for. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure who this one is, Chris reckons it's me, but I've got more hair than that. :D

Triumph demo bikes. :D

.... and Digga returning from his jaunt round the countryside :lol: :lol:

..... and then the BMW demo bikes. :D :D

JK off to test the latest generation BMW ABS system. :lol: :lol:

Sidestand with a S1000RR wedged up his behind. :lol:

Leaving the Hotel Bal.

bmk Offline

Postby Noel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Love it, stolen the top one. :D
Noel Offline

*Mr. Secretary*
*Mr. Secretary*

Postby b8ppj » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 am

Cracking time :lol:
b8ppj Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Digga sent me this video link from Iron & Air which I think caught the spirit of the event quite nicely in under 3 minutes. 8-) Some nice shots from the banking as well. :D

Vimeo - Cafe Racer Festival

bmk Offline

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Reports