Cafe Racer Festival - June 21st - 22nd 2014 - Paris

Open forum for ride reports, videos and photos of rideouts, etc.

Moderator: Digga

Postby bmk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Another great trip, fantastic weather, brilliant riding, laughs all the ways and a lot of stories not to be repeated here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was an early start, but everyone made it on time and we had an uneventful but pleasant ride down to Newhaven avoiding the motorways, until we picked up the M25, but still made good time with little early morning traffic on the A roads.

Rolled off the ferry in Dieppe to bright sunshine and made our way down the coastal road to our first overnight stop in Honfleur, a lovely little gem of a port on the mouth of the River Seine, arriving in style over the impressive Pont d'Normandie Bridge. Enjoyed our seafood dinner later sat outside, overlooking the harbour.

Uneventful, and leisurely ride in the sunshine on Friday over to Paris, skilfully managing to avoid the Peripherique this year! :lol: :lol:

Up early on Saturday and off to Linas-Montlehery for the Festival, with the weather again hot and sunny. A really broad and eclectic mix of bikes arriving in the car parks and on the circuit. The Cafe Racer Festival is the only event in the year that allows bikes onto the banking, so the entry list for track time is wide and diverse, from ealy flat tankers to race bikes from all era's, to scramblers and flat trackers to traditional style cafe racers of all shapes colours and sizes.

The French have a refreshing attitde to health and saftety where everyine is deemed to be responsible for their own actions, and if your happy to ride in open face helmet, jeans and trainers, then you can, just don't try and blame someone else if it goes tits up. Similarly, scrutineering is non existant and if you feel happy riding a bike with no brakes at 100mph, then it's your problem if it all goes wrong.

Meanwhile, off track, there was a greater manufacturer prescence this year along with the smaller builders and retailers, but not in your face and almost all had some non-standard or classic bikes on display as well as their current models. The only downside, as last year was the abysmal lack of catering, someone is missing a big opportunity to make some good money whilst keeping teh crowds and queues down.

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby skunkyd » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:12 pm

Some good looking machinery there ;)
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:26 pm

Arriving on the Triumph stand on Saturday afternoon to try and book a demo ride for Sunday morning we discovered they were doing parade laps for Triumph owners so JK and I managed to get out onto the banking for a couple of laps on Saturday and again on Sunday, which was an experience that needs repeating. :lol: 8-) :lol:

On Sunday we managed to grap a couple of track demo rides on Triumph and BMW's, we did try for MV Agusta as well, but they were all booked up despite a 3,000 Euro damage deposit. :shock: Just as last year this was a real giggle, with Digga managing to join us on track as well this year. ;) As an added bonus, there was no car sprint on this year giving us a couple of extended straights on the track, 8-) and JK avoided any un-scheduled ABS testing this year as well. :handgestures-thumbup:

We left around lunch time to head north to Amiens, with the sunshine holding up. Steve discovered a nail in his rear tyre, but collective wisdom said not to remove it on a Sunday unless we could find a garage with an air line. In the end we didn't find one and the tyre stayed up all the way home, which was lucky considering what he found when he pulled it out. :shock: :shock:

Good news was it it stayed up all the way home, and didn't spoil any riding. Lunch stop on the village green, provided by yet another local, friendly village patisserie. almost all unfailing friendly with a wonderful array of goods on offer in on a Sunday afternoon when the rest of France is closed. :lol:

We arrived in Amiens, to find a few roads blocked due to some kind of carnival, and caught the remaining few attractions when strolling out for dinner later.

We were nearly too late to find dinner, but about the only restaurant still serving turned out just fine, with Digga and I going with the healthy salad option. :lol:

Amiens has a magnificent cathedral which is painted with a light show on summer evenings once it's dark. The pictures don't really do it justice, but it's a pretty amazing show. The giant 'light' man was also impressive taking five people to move him around and to synchronise his movements. 8-)

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:41 pm

After a late night in Amiens, we had a leisurely start to Monday, with not many miles to cover, and took a leisurely lunch at the lovely little coastal village of Pourville, followed by ice cream on the beach. :D

From there it was a short run into Dieppe for the evening ferry home.

This bar in Dieppe neatly summed it up - "All is well" 8-)

It was only 5 days and 800 miles, but we packed a lot in at a leisurely pace that it seemed so much more. Cheers. :drink

bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:50 pm

PS - no big miles, so no trips to the chemist needed for us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:45 am

PPS - You've gotta love the Germans, and these two Ducati's caught my eye in the car park.

The 450 Desmo with it's huge tank bag and the Monster with it's improvised screen. Don't let the wrong bike stop you taking a trip, there's always a solution out there, you just need to think out of the cereal box sometimes. :D

bmk Offline

Postby bmk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:16 am

This is Sylvan Berneron's Suzuki 1200 Inazuma Cafe Racer -

....and here's a link to him riding it on the banking at the circuit - Click Here 8-)

bmk Offline

Postby Side stand » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi, Looks like another great trip :handgestures-thumbup: , gutted I missed it :( , especially knowing Triumph owners could get on the banking :doh though I would probably have been double gutted as may have done the ride on the latest acquisition 8-) an 18 year old Pan European :shock: :shock: yes I've gone into old person mode :rob :rob will give her a run out to the Breakfast meet on Sunday :D

Great photos and write up as always Martin, sorry I couldn't have joined you all.

Cheers

Paul
Side stand Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby BLUE(UK) » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Nice report there as usual BMK. 8-)
Then there's the guy who emails 50 questions about a 10 quid product, all of which could be answered by googling. So you answer and try to help, he emails again with more and you reply again. After the 5th email its obvious he doesnt actually want it and is basically wasting your time so you reply slower. Then he puts a post on a forum about how you're a twat because you're slow to reply so that whole process just costs you time and reputation, all because the bloke is a massive """"..
BLUE(UK) Offline

Paid Member 2016
Paid Member 2016

Postby Noel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Side stand wrote:Hi, Looks like another great trip :handgestures-thumbup: , gutted I missed it :( , especially knowing Triumph owners could get on the banking :doh though I would probably have been double gutted as may have done the ride on the latest acquisition 8-) an 18 year old Pan European :shock: :shock: yes I've gone into old person mode :rob :rob will give her a run out to the Breakfast meet on Sunday :D

Great photos and write up as always Martin, sorry I couldn't have joined you all.

Cheers

Paul

Did you buy the Pan off Julian?
Noel Offline

*Mr. Secretary*
*Mr. Secretary*

Postby Tonibe63 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Looks like I missed a good one again, great write and photies Martin :handgestures-thumbup:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Return to Ride Reports