Wales ride..... Monks Trod

Open forum for ride reports, videos and photos of rideouts, etc.

Moderator: Digga

Postby chris426f » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Shit.... just spent 30 mins writing up our ride last weekend and lost it..... 9 of us staying at Llanerchinda Farm for long weekend

Summary:

- (shepshed) Gary had a crash on Friday.... ribs.... too bad to ride sat or sun... Mark (Clarkem) punctured
- Saturday ..... Strata was well wet.... drowned three bikes
- running too late to do Monks Trod.... but foolishly we started it
- strokers running low on fuel
- Ran out of daylight... no moon that night... proper black
- Got split up near the river crossing on Monks (lack of communication and alternative survival techniques)
- Had to invoke emergency escape plan .... no way could we do another 5 mile of the Trods bogs in the dark (and limited fuel)
- 2 bikes failed... 2 clutches, 1 engine, one kickstart
- three rode down the (Afon Claerwen) river to the farmhouse (by the ford on the Claerwen 7 mile dirt track).... in the pitch black
- the rest of us (five) rode up the hill to the SE of the river....
- saved by the satnav.... emergency route off the moor
- all the two strokes ran out of fuel
- Claerwen road is a 7 mile ball ache in the dark
- got back to Rhayader at 8:30
- Chippy by Lamb and flag closed at 8:45 (phew)
- Gary and Martin (Llanerchinfda owner) came to rescue with fuel and a van for the broken bikes
- The Saturday nightlight of Rhayder was madder than normal..... Halloween and at least one hen party.....
- Roads v foggy for 30 miles ride back to farm
- still stayed up till 2 drinking beer and reviewing the days adventure....
- Rode forests on Sunday

Balls-up .... yes
Bad communication .... yes
Fun ..... yes
Memorable ..... forever

BTW..... Martin, who is VERY knowledgeable and engaged in the legal route issues around the area, thinks that the authorities are purposely keeping Monks open, without any (required) maintenance, so that it gets cut up by people going off-piste and it gives them cause to put a perm TRO on it.... if you use it..... don't abuse it..... do NOT do it in the winter, it'll do too much damage.
chris426f Offline

Paid Member 2016
Paid Member 2016

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:19 am

Sounds like a good adventure Chris, maybe not at the time but is much better when recounting the day over a beer :handgestures-thumbup: .
Thanks for the write up (Word, copy and paste is your friend ;) ).
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby skunkyd » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:24 am

Monks Trod open? Not sure where your contact gets his info from.... http://pstatic.powys.gov.uk/fileadmin/D ... O_list.pdf
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby chris426f » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Rob

I read something similar to this.... I asked the 'local ROW expert' before we set-out and he advised that it was open, due to a technically...

http://www.trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17529&sid=72982e8199a068a545f02a2146d707a4&start=40
http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/files/monks_trod_closure_0.pdf

I agree that the link you sent Rob is the CORRECT info Rob... plus the TRF statement of support should be respected.

I guess the guys who rode the river were indeed legal (until they rode the river ... to get out of trouble).
As there was no sign at the river crossing, west to east, I guess technically we were legal. But again we had to ride the footpath to get out of trouble.

Will check my info better next time, and not rely the 'local expert'.... the important thing here is to support the TRF advice..... Ooops!
chris426f Offline

Paid Member 2016
Paid Member 2016

Postby skunkyd » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:23 pm

The main thing is you guys got back safely, wasn't that long ago some Kent TRF folk had to be rescued in the area...
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Return to Ride Reports