Travel advice - now updated with the ride report.

General posts and chat about bikes, life, whatever.

Moderator: Digga

Postby skunkyd » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:59 am

Great stuff Tony, sounds like you're having a hoot as usual :D
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:23 am

Tonibe63 wrote:Day 6 The Dolomites=WOW. Best roads I have ever ridden, from Bolzano to Cortina via Canazei and Arabba. I might leave the bike here and fly back out once a month, awesome. A dry day but rain early evening so holed up in a poncey hotel.

Yep, that'd do me as well. Little place on the side of Lake Garda or Lake Como, bike in the garage, mountains on the door step for summer or winter, but still close enough to the cities. Perfect. 8-)

Enjoy the rest Tony. :handgestures-thumbup:

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby PaulG » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:19 pm

That sounds great Tony :handgestures-thumbup:
Hows Lou doing ?
Of all the things i have lost i miss my mind the most.
PaulG Offline

*Mr. Treasurer*
*Mr. Treasurer*

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Lou's loving it as always, happy with her new camera.
Day 7 Grossglockner was awesome, so good we turned round and did it again. Bikes, Porshes, Ferrari's, Lambo's the lot. Booking.com found us a great apartment for £50.
Day 8 Slovenia is absolutely beautiful. Mangart Mountain was fantastic. Now sitting with a beer on the porch in the mountains watching a thunderstorm, glad we didn't camp by that river although the budget is blown, lol.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Tonibe63 wrote:...........glad we didn't camp by that river although the budget is blown, lol.

It's only money, enjoy yourselves, leave the kids to worry about what's happened to their inheritance. ;)

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby Tonibe63 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Day 9 Slovenia to Karlobag, Croatia. Coast road is yet another amazing piece of asphalt. We met an Italian couple on the road and then again at dinner who live in Treviso, Italy and gave us an open invite to stay at their house or leave the bike in their garage 8-) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Tonibe63 wrote:Croatia. Coast road is yet another amazing piece of asphalt.

:text-yeahthat: 8-) :lol:

bmk Offline

Postby Tonibe63 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:57 pm

On the downside I'm not sure if the rear shock's kn@ckered, the right pannier is cutting a chunk out of the mudsling thing ........ "argh it'll be alrite"
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:54 am

Day 10 Left Karlobag heading South, cross in to Bosnia for about 20 miles (no insurance or breakdown cover :pray: ) then back in to Croatia. Arrive in Dubrovnik about 5pm, find a little apartment overlooking Old Town (£=ouch), evening meal within the walls as the sun sets, street musicians+a few drinks and the World is a beautiful place, life's good.
Day 11 Sad to leave but head South. 100kph+ builders pick up pulls out on me :eek: , hit the brakes, ABS kicks in, swerve right and left ................. how the f'ck did I miss him :pray: . Get to Montenegro border, guard ask's for 'green card insurance' and is having non of my bullshit so confiscates Passports until I pay for insurance. Roads are shite, full of potholes, Police in very old VW's belching black smoke but there are some new Black Merc M class (Mafia???). Kotor Bay old walled town is very touristy but nice+plenty of cruise ships in the harbour, 'spider senses' detect some drug dealing in dark corners, very tall and very beautiful people. Head back North and camp just in to Croatia overlooking the sea.
Day 12 Transit day, lots of miles inland Croatia, road works=gravel/mud/rain/rutts for miles, proper wet/muddy=down day :( , grab hotel, shower/meal/beer+log fire=happy again.
Day 13 Plitvick Lakes only 10km's from hotel, sun's up, 5 hours of rivers/waterfalls/flooded walkways/boat trips are well worth yesterdays shite. Mid afternoon we make tracks for coast, fantastic road, hang on to 5 Slovenian riders for 30km's taking bends at twice the speed limit, pannier really banging on mudgaurd now :? . Getting dark, Lou finds a 4 star apartment with pool and sea view for 40 Euros, pizza+beer tea in the village, what a cracking day.
Day 14 Transit day=motorways, Croatia/Slovenia/Italy, eventually turn off to ride few pass's before grabbing hotel near Cortina (no campsites open).
Day 15 Coffee/sunshine/bikes/Dolomite Mountains=life is good. Return to ride my favourite road from Cortina to Canazei=WOW, no cloud today, cable car up to top of mountain=magical .......... f'kin WOW!!!!!!!!! If tomorrow never comes ......................
Day 16 Austria/German Border, Garmisch/Oberammergau/Fussen.
1pm resigned ourselves to heading home, looking forward to seeing the Family but also very sad that there is nothing 'new/different' to see, nothing to take our breath away. Germany=forest/hills/valleys/rain :( . Make good progress but rain/dark stops play so a small town hotel is a means to an end. Owner can't believe how far we've been, his GSXR only does 100km's each time it goes out. He's sceptical as I book a return tunnel for 8pm tomorrow.
Day 17 Good breakfast and hit the road, make good time, 2pm lunch in Brugge central square 8-) . Get to the tunnel early, next available crossing 6.20pm no extra cost=yes please.
10pm arrive home, family all well, dog nearly bursts a blood vessel :lol: .
4,000 miles added to the bike
over 1,000 photo's taken
a couple of grand+ poorer
but a whole lot richer :D :D :D :D
Day 18 unpack
Day 19 .................. we're both missing the bike :lol: :lol:

F'ckin work tomorrow ..................... it's going to be hard not to tell them where to shove it :angry-screaming:
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Looking forward to a few of the photo's when you get time Tony. Good to hear you and Lou are back home safely. Day off the bikes for us in Santander today, but thinking I may be back for the Moto Piston Rally at some point. :lol:

bmk Offline

Postby skunkyd » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:07 pm

You guys don't hang around, lookig forward to seeing some photos :handgestures-thumbup:
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Noel » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Glad your home safe and well.
Looks like I'm the only one not been anywhere significant on my bike this year.
Maybe next....I hope.
Noel Offline

*Mr. Secretary*
*Mr. Secretary*

Postby Tonibe63 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:14 pm

It's been a year now and missing out on a long trip this year so thought I better update with a few photo's :augie

Day 1 uk to Brugge, nice hotel, nice City with a cool Cafe culture.

Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Day 2 a long day in the saddle, camping near Koblenz along Mosel Valley, damp misty morning but no rain.

Day 3 camping on banks of Lake Constance, nice towns and cafe's, struggling to hack the miles but it's a means to an end, misty morning but again no rain.

At the Lake Constance campsite we met a couple in their mid 50's from British Columbia who had flown in to Holland with just pushbikes and camping gear and were riding to Budapest in Hungary-he was a bit like ace ventura and absolutely nuts
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Day 4 another long day in the saddle to Merano, Italy. Passo Rombo is brill. Change of plan, got an appartment for 2 nights to dry out tent etc

This is more like it :D
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion