Travel advice - now updated with the ride report.

General posts and chat about bikes, life, whatever.

Moderator: Digga

Postby Tonibe63 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 pm

Anybody got any experience of travelling in Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Hungary, Romania?
We're thinking of grabbing the opportunity and just going for it but for some reason it's a bit outside my comfort zone :?
Hints, tips, problems ........................... warts and all :think:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby BLUE(UK) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:26 pm

Slovenia....just ride in.
If you go through the minor roads there isn't even any border sentry box manned or at least there wasn't when I cruised through.
Then there's the guy who emails 50 questions about a 10 quid product, all of which could be answered by googling. So you answer and try to help, he emails again with more and you reply again. After the 5th email its obvious he doesnt actually want it and is basically wasting your time so you reply slower. Then he puts a post on a forum about how you're a twat because you're slow to reply so that whole process just costs you time and reputation, all because the bloke is a massive """"..
BLUE(UK) Offline

Paid Member 2016
Paid Member 2016

Postby Noel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:54 pm

Rather then be out your comfort zone just take a ride up the A4500 into Coventry you will think your in Romania.
Noel Offline

*Mr. Secretary*
*Mr. Secretary*

Postby bmk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:04 pm

BLUE(UK) wrote:Slovenia....just ride in.......

....and carry on through to Croatia no problem. Loved Croatia, the mountain roads are nice, but for me the Adriatic coast road was fantastic. Lovely people, and do anything to help you found. Still very under developed tourist wise, so accomodation can be a bit patchy out of the cities, but you'll have a tent so no worries there. ;)

Can't help you with the rest as we crossed over the Adriatic in Split and headed off to Tuscanny. 8-)

PS - if you're thinking of popping into Venice before hitting Slovenia, I wouldn't bother. Over priced, over rated and under water. ;)

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby Tonibe63 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:29 am

Thanks for the replies gents :handgestures-thumbup: .
My problem is I don't like to over plan, preferring to just see what comes along, but this needs some thinking about :think: .
On my right shoulder is someone asking "why/what for/what if" and on the left someone saying "feck it why not", all I know is that the excited tingling feeling in my joints is back which is addictive :twisted: .
We've managed to contact t'internet people in Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia who have made some recommendations for a good route along with likely weather predictions. Also got a few pointers from others that have ridden around those areas and indeed someone who may be down in Greece around October.
Even got a rough route planned rather than just head 'that way'
Home to Slovenia
Slovenia to Kotor Bay, Montenegro
Kotor Bay, Montenegro to Vikos Gorge, Greece.

Greece back home is TBA :shifty: .

Just need to find some money :doh: and some "balls" to do it :? :shifty: :oops:

Comments, recommendations and experiences on the route appreciated :handgestures-thumbup:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:08 am

All looks good and do-able to me Tony, but with a bike, ferry ticket, a credit card and three weeks off anything would look good to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby BLUE(UK) » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Tonibe63 wrote:My problem is I don't like to over plan, preferring to just see what comes along, but this needs some thinking about :think: .
On my right shoulder is someone asking "why/what for/what if" and on the left someone saying "feck it why not", all I know is that the excited tingling feeling in my joints is back which is addictive :twisted: .

Just need to find some money :doh: and some "balls" to do it :? :shifty: :oops:

Plans are like campsites....who needs 'em?! :pray:

BMK has ridden out that way and we all know how he likes his comforts. :D
Then there's the guy who emails 50 questions about a 10 quid product, all of which could be answered by googling. So you answer and try to help, he emails again with more and you reply again. After the 5th email its obvious he doesnt actually want it and is basically wasting your time so you reply slower. Then he puts a post on a forum about how you're a twat because you're slow to reply so that whole process just costs you time and reputation, all because the bloke is a massive """"..
BLUE(UK) Offline

Paid Member 2016
Paid Member 2016

Postby bmk » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:58 pm

BLUE(UK) wrote:BMK has ridden out that way and we all know how he likes his comforts. :D

I resemble that remark.

:D :D - :oops: :oops: - :D :D

bmk Offline

Postby BLUE(UK) » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:38 pm

bmk wrote:I resemble that remark.

:D :D - :oops: :oops: - :D :D

8-) 8-) 8-)
BLUE(UK) Offline

Paid Member 2016
Paid Member 2016

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:22 am

A week to go so I best get my sh*t together :think: .
I really need to get some breakdown cover sorted but reading some reviews it seems an absolute minefield, some proving to be worth less than the paper it's printed on. I know my way around the bike, have changed the tyres, brake pads, oil/filter, gearbox oil, final drive oil etc etc ready for the trip and carry a couple of important spares+puncture repair kit but I really need cover for anything major that can't be fixed where we+bike need to get home.
Help! Any recommendations PLEASE :pray: ?
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:51 am

Like you say, it's a bit of a minefield - like all insurance you never really know how good it is until you need it. Plus, the price you pay is no guarantee of the service you get. I don't have a link, but when we went to Croatia, I used a price comparison site that showed the benefits, features and prices side by side which was some help. We ended up going with Green Flag. Thankfully, didn't need it, so couldn't say how good it was.

In reality, some would call on them for a minor tumble with a broken clutch lever, whereas mist of us with a bit if mechanical knowledge and adequate bodging skills would only need them for something more serious.

The other thing to remember is that breakdown cover will not recover you in case of a spill / accident, that needs separate cover under your travel policy which should include motorcycle use.

bmk Offline

Postby Noel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:03 pm

I have the AA European cover and have used it.
They sub contract it out in Europe but they do all the hard work. It can be time consuming and frustrating but least you get taken to a dealer who will hopefully do the best for you (the dealer we had couldn't of been better straight on the case to find parts availability etc it was late afternoon/evening).
The woes of our recovery:-
We where nearer to the ferry port than the dealer (on our return leg) but they still insisted going to the dealer first.
Parts where not in stock, 2 weeks waiting and I appreciate that but they then paid for a taxi to ferry port in excess of 200Euro.
Then to forward bike on this can take several weeks I think it was three weeks, where as we could of been recovered to the ferry rode on the ferry and recovered back home.
We then had a taxi to car hire at the dock then drove home.

We would of been in a mess without it and as I say they sometimes go the long way round and get the same result.

The AA even recovered us in EU when we only had UK cover (my mistake :doh ) at no cost to us.
The only thing that really pisses me off is the renewal, I always cancel wait for the call and renew as a new member to make a good saving.
Noel Offline

*Mr. Secretary*
*Mr. Secretary*

Postby Side stand » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:37 pm

I've had RAC car cover for years (since 1992) and extended it to Europe (Bike) when I went on the trip to the alps and Austria with Wideload in 2008, got a bend wrong :oops: :oops: fell off in the Swiss alps punctured a radiator and cracked ribs on a Sat afternoon as we set off back for home.

As Noel says they sub it out as per the AA but the policy said if it couldn't be fixed by a dealer in 48hrs they would recover you and the bike. It was a bank holiday on the Monday so after a few frustrating phone calls and a couple of hours they agreed to get me and the bike back.

long story short, night in French hotel, then recovery truck (two drivers) from Swiss border to Calais, drove the bike on the ferry, met by the RAC at Dover who took me and the bike to their Depot, gave me a car and said we will drop the bike off in a couple of days and pick up the car. Once I was in their system I couldn't fault them. Bonus was I joined RAC bike cover through my bike insurance which only had about a month to run so they charged proportionately and all of the above cost me £17 :dance:
Side stand Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks for the replies gents :handgestures-thumbup: .
What a f'kin minefield.
ADAC-87 Euros but won't cover you unless you live in Germany
RAC-£137 (robbing feckers)
AXA-various websites selling the same policy between £43 to £46
Greenflag-£50 for 31 days cover but with more benefits than others-so that's what I got.
Unfortunately non of the mainstrean Companies cover beyond Croatia which is where my Bike insurance also covers down to so the Montenegro border will provide food for thought :think: if indeed we haven't had enough by then :shhh: .
The last bit of admin was to book a one way ticket on the tunnel ;)
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Bit of an update
Day 1 uk to Brugge, nice hotel, nice City with a cool Cafe culture.
Day 2 a long day in the saddle, camping near Koblenz along Mosel Valley, damp misty morning but no rain.
Day 3 camping on banks of Lake Constance, nice towns and cafe's, struggling to hack the miles but it's a means to an end, misty morning but again no rain.
Day 4 another long day in the saddle to Merano, Italy. Passo Rombo is brill. Change of plan, got an appartment for 2 nights to dry out tent etc.
Day 5 Did Stelvio Pass without luggage, misty at top and very bad fog coming down but no rain. Still great roads, lots of bikes. 2nd night in apartment, lovely place.
Day 6 The Dolomites=WOW. Best roads I have ever ridden, from Bolzano to Cortina via Canazei and Arabba. I might leave the bike here and fly back out once a month, awesome. A dry day but rain early evening so holed up in a poncey hotel.
Day 7 tomorrow and the Grossglockner Pass
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Next

Return to General Discussion