Travel advice - now updated with the ride report.

General posts and chat about bikes, life, whatever.

Moderator: Digga

Postby Tonibe63 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Day 5 Did Stelvio Pass without luggage, misty at top and very bad fog coming down but no rain. Still great roads, lots of bikes. 2nd night in apartment, lovely place.

A bit clearer going down the other side.

Back to the guest house where the tent had dried out

Shame that Lou didn't get to see the Stelvio at it's best but the 3 generations that ran the guest house were really nice and the breakfast was fantastic.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Day 6 The Dolomites=WOW. Best roads I have ever ridden, from Bolzano to Cortina via Canazei and Arabba. I might leave the bike here and fly back out once a month, awesome. A dry day but rain early evening so holed up in a poncey hotel.

Cracking day :D
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Day 7 Grossglockner was awesome, so good we turned round and did it again. Bikes, Porshes, Ferrari's, Lambo's the lot. Booking.com found us a great apartment for £50.

The temperature really dropped up there and the light rain made the cobbles interesting.
The guest house was a great find via Booking.com, and although the owners only spoke German it wasn't a problem.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Day 8 Slovenia is absolutely beautiful. Mangart Mountain was fantastic. Now sitting with a beer on the porch in the mountains watching a thunderstorm, glad we didn't camp by that river although the budget is blown, lol.

Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:47 pm

Some great photo's there Tony. :ugeek:

Is it just the photo or is this a cobbled road?

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Yes it is cobbled on that section but only for a few hundred yards going up to the viewing point. There were a few snow flurries and very cold but nothing that settled, down in the valley it was red hot.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:08 pm

Day 9 Slovenia to Karlobag, Croatia. Coast road is yet another amazing piece of asphalt. We met an Italian couple on the road and then again at dinner who live in Treviso, Italy and gave us an open invite to stay at their house or leave the bike in their garage 8-) .

Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Day 10 Left Karlobag heading South, cross in to Bosnia for about 20 miles (no insurance or breakdown cover :pray: ) then back in to Croatia. Arrive in Dubrovnik about 5pm, find a little apartment overlooking Old Town (£=ouch), evening meal within the walls as the sun sets, street musicians+a few drinks and the World is a beautiful place, life's good.

View from our balcony
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:23 pm

Day 11 Sad to leave but head South. Kotor Bay in Montenegro is an old walled town, is very touristy but nice+plenty of cruise ships in the harbour plus very tall and very beautiful people.. A couple we met in Scotland had driven from Australia to the UK and they said it was their favourite place on the trip. Head back North and camp just in to Croatia overlooking the sea.

Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby skunkyd » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:06 am

:handgestures-thumbup: great stuff.
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby tim » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Nice one Tony , just the job, are your routes saved on moto goloco somewhere?
tim Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:45 pm

tim wrote:Nice one Tony , just the job, are your routes saved on moto goloco somewhere?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm a GPS Ludite Tim, my trusty 2009 European Atlas and a predisposition for just seeing what happens is all we need.
I've normally got a mental note of places/roads/must see's, a one way tunnel ticket and the first nights hotel booked so that we have an easy first day. After that I tend to look at the map and make it up as I go along, often we just find accomodation/campsite when we're ready for a stop or if I'm feeling organised I get on Booking.com to book for later that day. Never slept in a bus shelter yet ............. :lol: :lol: .
Apart from booking flights we've done a similar thing for Morocco and America but just rented a car locally. If there is just the 2 of you then you don't need to overplan like you do when going with the kids.
Earlier this year I help draw up a rough route for our Daughter and Fiance to ride down to Slovenia on their 800GS which was their 2nd ever trip abroad on the bike and they loved it, again they just found hotels or campsites as they went along.

If you want any advice on routes or places just ask :ugeek:
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:49 am

Day 12 Transit day, lots of miles inland Croatia, road works=gravel/mud/rain/rutts for miles, proper wet/muddy=down day :( , grab hotel, shower/meal/beer+log fire=happy again.

The title says it all really.
I'd had this 'romantic dream' of dropping Lou off at an Airport to fly home and I could carry on to ........... who knows where but a couple of days earlier I had realised that whenever I'm on my own, and see something really special or experience something, I always wish that a certain somebody was there with me to share it with :oops: :oops: :oops: :hand: so I'd decided to ride North in the general direction of Home with Lou on the back. Now every longish trip has a 'down day' where the weather is bad, the roads are boring, there is no destination as such and your head isn't in the right place, suffice to say this was it.

The only highlight of the day was whilst grabbing a coffee/petrol at a Motorway service station when a coach load of South Korean tourist pulled up and promptly gathered around us. The only English speaking person then started asking questions about where we were from, how many miles had we ridden, how much the bike cost etc etc and when he translated back to his fellow passengers there was a group "ooooohhhhhhhh" followed by a click of camera shutters from the gathered Minions. They all disappeared as quickly as they'd arrived whilst we just looked at each other, shook our heads and laughed as if to say WTF was that all about-a very surreal moment.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:37 am

Day 13 Plitvice Lakes only 10km's from hotel, sun's up, 5 hours of rivers/waterfalls/flooded walkways/boat trips are well worth yesterdays shite. Mid afternoon we make tracks for coast, fantastic road, hang on to 5 Slovenian riders for 30km's taking bends at twice the speed limit, pannier really banging on mudgaurd now :? .

Our refuge from the rains of yesterday

Lou finds a 4 star apartment with pool and sea view for 40 Euros, pizza+beer tea in the village, what a cracking day.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:47 am

Day 14 Transit day=motorways, Croatia/Slovenia/Italy, eventually turn off to ride few pass's before grabbing hotel near Cortina (no campsites open).
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion