Newbie from Borrowash

Forum for Admin Notices, Membership Information & Introductions. Find out how to join LARF and introduce yourself here, how you found us, what bikes you ride, etc.

Moderator: Digga

Postby Colin W » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Hello all,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I popped in to the December meeting at the Station, spoke to a couple of people and paid my tenner. I have since purchased a KTM EXC 400 2009 and am really looking forward to getting out on it this year. I'll be honest I don't know much about trail riding as I've only really done a bit of motocross in the past but you have to start somewhere.

Hopefully someone can give me a few pointers on how to get started, how rides are organised and what kit/tools are required etc. Any way introduction over.

Cheers

Colin
Colin W Offline

Postby BLUE(UK) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:13 pm

KTM tool kit.
Tyre levers and tubes unless running mousses.
Plug cap/spark plug.
Split link matching the chain on your bike. Not all are the same.
Maybe spare levers? I've had the end snap once but never been a problem. I do run enduro hand guards.
Then there's the guy who emails 50 questions about a 10 quid product, all of which could be answered by googling. So you answer and try to help, he emails again with more and you reply again. After the 5th email its obvious he doesnt actually want it and is basically wasting your time so you reply slower. Then he puts a post on a forum about how you're a twat because you're slow to reply so that whole process just costs you time and reputation, all because the bloke is a massive """"..
BLUE(UK) Offline

Paid Member 2016
Paid Member 2016

Postby skunkyd » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Colin.

If you've come from the MX scene then the chances are you've got a lot of the kit already in terms of armour, boots, trousers, gloves, jacket etc. But you may also want to consider water proof socks (sealskinz), spare gloves ( I usually have a waterproof glove and a normal pair as I find waterproof normally means bulky), waterproof jacket, anything from a army gortex type http://www.springfields.co.uk/military/ ... acket.html all the way through to the genuine enduro jacket http://shop.1stmx.co.uk/thor-mx-range-e ... 1502-p.asp theres plenty of choice out there.

One thing to consider is that we ride in some pretty remote places and the chances are if I'm leading its pissing down with rain, I'm blessed like that :oops:

I would focus on and enjoy the riding in the first instance and let someone else do the planning and logistics. Given your background I reckon you'll come with a whole host of skills us trail riders dont have!

In terms of getting on a ride out, take a look here viewforum.php?f=3 as this is the section where off road ride outs are posted up by individuals.

When someone posts a ride out up, like I have for Oswestry this saturday, you just put your name down, I then pm (private message) the joining instructions closer the time.

One of the areas you may also want to consider is what you carry along with you, the heaviest part of which is normally a spare inner tube (front) as it will fit front or rear, tyre levers and pump. Most of us run michelin mousses or similar as you can forget all of the above if you fit them instead of tubes.

Add to that a camel pack of type, spare brake and clutch lever, spark plug, chain link, small tool kit (KTM style is ideal and should have come with your bike)

Most will get all of these bits in a 15 litre rucksack (I use a Kriega R15), anything bigger than that and you're carrying too much weight and too much kit!

Anything a lot smaller and your probably counting on someone else to lend you some spares should there be a breakdown.

Get that lot sorted and then if you want we can talk gps and routes at a club meeting.

:auto-dirtbike:
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby skunkyd » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Beat me to it Blue.
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby bmk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:00 pm

:text-welcomewave:

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby Colin W » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the info that gives me plenty to go at. I'm sorting a tow bar and trailer over the next couple of weeks so should be up and running soon.

I'm very much a novice motocrosser, stalkermx bike hire about 8 times last year other than that a bit 15 or so years ago but I'm looking forward to getting into the trails.

I'll pop over to the next meeting at the station.

Thanks again for info.

Cheers

Colin
Colin W Offline

Postby Noel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Where the feck is Borrowash?!!
Sounds like a pressure washer hire company.

Welcome along nothing more to add to above as long as you ride to your ability (push it on occasions it makes you feel alive) and have fun doing it then the skills and kit required you will learn what works and not.
Noel Offline

*Mr. Secretary*
*Mr. Secretary*

Postby skunkyd » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Must confess, I had to google it.
Skunky
skunkyd Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Colin W » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:56 pm

Ha ha it's near elveston castle. Commonly known as Bogwash.
Colin W Offline

Postby ktm-geoff » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:19 am

Welcome Colin, good choice of bike, get out there and get it dirty ;)

and watch out for Noel, he's the forum bully :eek:

:text-imsorry:
ktm-geoff Offline

Spending too much time here.
Spending too much time here.

Postby bmk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:43 am

Colin W wrote:Ha ha it's near Elvaston Castle. Commonly known as Bogwash.

Apologies Colin, half these lads never get out of Leicester. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

I used to live in Elvaston, so know exactly where Borrowash is. :handgestures-thumbup:

"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it is a work of art."
bmk Offline

Postby b8ppj » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:39 am

Welcome along :handgestures-thumbup:

Bogwash :lol: :lol: :lol: I am originally from Ockbrook :handgestures-thumbup: so know where Borrowash is
b8ppj Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Postby Tonibe63 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Borrowash, Elvaston and Ockbrook :think: sounds like a film location for The Hobbit ;) .

Welcome along Colin :handgestures-thumbup:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63 Offline

Paid Member 2017
Paid Member 2017

Return to LARF Forum Admin Notices - Membership Information - Newbie Introductions